What is the Facebook page?
APC can be found by searching American Pride Cheerleading or @apyflcheer.
How often is practice?
Expect two OR three days a week (time, days will vary by coach) which will be determined and communicated by coaches during the last week of pre-season practice. Our current practice location is Coles Elementary.
How long are practices?
Practices are usually 1 to 1.5 hours depending on coach/squad.
Is practice indoors or outside?
There is not indoor space for regular practices, just for Pep Rally prep (FALL season).
How long is the cheer season?
- SPRING Cheer pre-season practices begin early April. The first games are generally the last week in April and go through early June.
- FALL Cheer pre-season practices mid-August. The first games are generally begin mid-September and go through early November.
What time and what days are games?
- SPRING Cheer: Games are on SUNDAY, times will vary – expect as early as 8 am arrival as late as 4 pm arrival. Our squads will cheer for different football teams each week as we have more significantly more football teams than cheer squads. Games are 50 minutes.
- FALL Cheer: Games are on SATURDAY, times will vary – expect as early as 8 am arrival as late as 5 pm arrival. Our squads will cheer for different football teams each week as we have more significantly more football teams than cheer squads. Games are 90 minutes.
How are squads determined?
Squad size is based on the number of cheerleaders registered in the program. Assignments are based on skill level and experience. Age, attention span and ability to follow directions are heavily weighted factors. Any requests for siblings (with varying skill level/age) on the same squad are considered at the coach’s discretion.
Does each squad only cheer for one game?
Yes, only one game per weekend.
Where are the games?
Our home fields vary for both season but games are typically at Saunders Middle School, Benton Middle School, or Independent Hill.
What is Alex’s Army Bowl?
Alex's Army (http://alexsarmyccf.org) is a non-profit focused on raising awareness and funding for childhood cancer research. APYFL and Gainesville Haymarket Youth Football League (GHYFL) co-host the Alex's Army Bowl annually at the Grizzly Sports Complex in Haymarket the weekend immediately prior to the first game of the season. The event features a day of pre-season scrimmages between our two organizations. Cheerleaders and football player sport gold bows/ribbons throughout September in support of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
What color bloomers and bodysuits?
What do the cheerleaders wear when it gets cold? Do parents need to purchase jackets?
In addition to the long sleeve body suit, coaches will advise on the type of bottoms appropriate for the squad. Warm-up jackets will be provided.
What items are parents responsible for?
Shoes, socks, bloomers, and body suit. Anything additional will be advised by the coach.
Can earrings be worn?
For safety purposes, studs only please.
Can you discuss hair, makeup, jewelry, etc?
Hair should be worn in a high pony tail with bow. No makeup. Gloss is fine.
Will everyone stunt?
The level of stunting is based on the coach's assessment of the squad skill level.
Does everyone have to have the same cheer bag?
The coach will advise accordingly.
What is the APC Car Wash?
The APC Car Wash will take place in May (SPRING) and September (FALL). Each squad will have a designated time frame. This a mandatory activity for all squads as it is a designated fundraising activity for the program.
Is fundraising a requirement of participation?
Yes. As a community organization, success is based on the dedication and commitment of our parents and volunteers. In efforts to keep registration fees at an affordable level, we rely on fundraising as an essential component of our program. There is league fundraiser that all registrants must either participate in or pay to opt-out at the time of registration. APC conducts one fundraiser during each month of the season [SPRING (May/June); FALL (September/October/November)].
If my daughter hasn't been to anything, like camp, how will she be placed on a squad?
We use age as a guide and other criteria to place her appropriately.
When will uniforms be distributed?
Uniforms are distributed by coaches the week prior to the first game of the season.
Will the girls be allowed to have a snack during game?
Cheerleaders need to bring a water bottle to each game and will have a snack after half time. Parents are expected to sign up and rotate the snack duty.
Once squads are assigned, how will we get all the coach information?
A notification will be sent electronically indicating squad assignments. The appropriate coaches will then be in contact.
- Are there expectations of the parents at games?
We ask that parents:
- Be sure cheerleaders arrive at the time designated the coach.
- Try to keep siblings at bay.
- Participate in crowd cheers.
- Show off your APYFL spirit wear or league colors of red and black.
- Be mindful and respectful of the area designated for the cheerleaders.
- Be positive examples of sportmanship by encouraging and supporting APYFL without derisive or aggressive comments (booing, heckling) the opposing team.